NDA (National Defence Academy) is conducted by UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) which helps the candidates to be a part of Defence Forces i.e. Army, Air Force and Navy. NDA examinations are organised twice a year.
About 450,000 applicants appear every year out of which only 6,300 candidates are selected for a future interview; out of 6,300 candidates, only 70 candidates are accepted in Air Force, 42 in Navy and 208 candidates in Army.
- Candidates must be a citizen of India, a subject of Nepal, a subject of Bhutan or an Indian origin person who has migrated from Burma, Sri Lanka, Pakistan and East African Countries of Kenya, the United Republic of Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zaire, Malawi and Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India with the intention of permanently settling in India before the 1st January 1962.
- Candidates should be unmarried.
- Candidate’s age should lie between 16.5 years to 19.5years.
- Candidates applying for Army Wing must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam organized by the State Education Board or a University.
- Candidates applying for Air Force and Naval of NDA and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme should have cleared the 12th or equivalent exam with Physics and Mathematics subjects.
- Candidates should be medically fit.
Height and weight requirements for Army and Air Force
|Height (in cm)||Age in years|
|16 - 17||17 - 18||18 - 19|
|Weight (in kgs)|
Height and weight requirements for Navy
|Height (in cm)||Age in years|
|Weight (in kgs)|
Vision standard for Naval candidates
|Uncorrected without glass||6/6, 6/9|
|Corrected with glass||6/6, 6/6|
|Limits of Myopia||-0.75|
|Limits of Hypermetropia||+1.5|
|Limits of colour perception||I|
Visual Standards for Air Force
In order to be eligible for Air Force, candidates must not wear spectacles.
The visual standards set for Air Force has been provided below
|Minimum distant vision||6/6, 6/9|
|Corrected with glass (for Hypermetropia)||6/6, 6/6|
|Sph Manifest Myopia||Nil|
|Retinoscopic Myopia||0.5 in any Meridian permitted|
|Astigmatism||+ 0.75 D Cyl (within + 2.0 D maximum)|
|Maddox Rod Test at 6 meters||
|Maddox Rod Test at 33 cms||
Below mentioned are considered as the minor ailments
|Wax (Ears)||Deviated Nasal Septum||Hydrocele/Phimosis|
Other than the above requirements in the physical standards the candidates must be in good physical and mental health and they should not be obese or overweight.
Below mentioned are the special requirements for the candidates applying for air force wing of the National Defence Academy:
|Special or Specific Requirements for Air Force Pilot|
|Leg length||99.00cm 120.00cm|
|Thigh length||Max 64.00cm|
|Sitting height||81.50cm 96.00cm|
The minimum acceptable height is 157 cm for Army, Navy and Naval Academy while 162.5 cm for Air Force. For Gorkhas and individuals belonging to hills of North-Eastern, the minimum acceptable heights will be 5 cm less.
|Category||Amount to be paid|
|1) General & OBC candidates||Rs.100|
|1) SC/ST candidates and wards of NCOs/ JCOs/Ors||No application fee charged|
- Visit NDA official website (http://www.upsc.gov.in/).
- Fill the details asked in the form.
- Select the exam centre.
- Pay the form fees either by credit/debit card, net banking or through e-challan.
- Upload the photograph and signature in JPEG format.
|General Ability Test||English||200|
- It is an offline based examination
- The question paper is divided into two categories
- Category I: Mathematics
- Category II: General Ability Test
Category II is further subdivided into two parts:-
- Part A:- English
- Part B:- General Knowledge
Part B is further divided into six sections:-
- Section I:- Physics
- Section II:- Chemistry
- Section III:- General Knowledge
- Section IV:- History
- Section V:- Geography
- Section VI:- Current Affairs
- Each category is allotted 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- After clearing the NDA candidates has to give SSB interview which consists of 900 marks.
|MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS||
|ANALYTICAL GEOMETRY OF TWO AND THREE DIMENSIONS||
|INTEGRAL CALCULUS AND DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS||
|VECTOR ALGEBRA||Vectors in two and three dimensions, magnitude and direction of a vector. Unit and null vectors, addition of vectors, scalar multiplication of a vector, scalar product or dot product of two vectors. Vector product or cross product of two vectors. Applications—work done by a force and moment of a force and in geometrical problems.|
|STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY||
|ENGLISH||The question paper in English will be designed to test the candidate’s understanding of English and workmanlike use of words. The syllabus covers various aspects like: Grammar and usage, vocabulary, comprehension and cohesion in extended text to test the candidate’s proficiency in English.|
|CURRENT AFFAIRS||Knowledge of Important events that have happened in India in the recent years. Current important world events. Prominent personalities—both Indian and International including those connected with cultural activities and sports.|
|Releasing of Notification||7th August 2019|
|Starting of filling online application||7th August 2019|
|Last date to fill and submit an application form||3rd September 2019|
|Availability of Admit Card||3 weeks prior to the exam|
|NDA 2 exam date||17th November 2019|
|Declaration of result||Last week of October|
Candidates need to qualify NDA examination in order to go to the next round i.e. the SSB interview. The candidates who get selected in the BBS round are eligible to take admission in NDA.
Intelligence and Personality Test
The SSB procedure consists of the two-stage Selection process - stage I and stage II. Only those candidates who clear the stage I are permitted to appear for stage II.
The details are :
- Stage I comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception * Description Test (PP&DT). The candidates will be shortlisted based on a combination of performance in OIR Test and PP&DT.
- Stage II Comprises of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. These tests are conducted over 4 days. The details of these tests are given on the website join Indian army.nic.in. The personality of a candidate is assessed by three different assessors viz. The Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and the Psychologist. There are no separate weight for each test. The mks are allotted by assessors only after taking into consideration the performance of the candidate holistically in all the test. In addition, marks for Conference are also allotted based on the initial performance of the Candidate in the three techniques and decision of the Board. All these have equal weightage.
The various tests of IO, GTO and Psych are designed to bring out the presence/absence of Officer Like Qualities and their trainability in a candidate. Accordingly, candidates are Recommended or Not Recommended at the SSB.
NDA is one of the most esteemed joint service academy of Indian Armed Forced. Thousands of aspiring students take up the exam every year with the hope of making it to the prestigious institutions. At BasicFirst, we offer earnest students the opportunity to interact and learn from the finest faculty. Our study program include several methodologies for this. We offer Doubt Clearing sessions, to ensure that students have a strong foundation in the subject. To supplement this, we have online tests and practice workbooks to help train the students crack the NDA entrance exam. To encourage one-on-one interaction, we also give students the chance to consult and interact with our faculty over our Live Online, and Mentors programs.
Our programs are fine-tuned to helping students crack NDA. With the help of our special NDA coaching program, and a little hard work from your side, you can be sure of getting into the NATIONAL DEFENCE ACADMEY to serve the nation.